Of course congressional reform is just a silly dream. Politicians would never impose it on themselves. But this is the just the bucket of cold water we need to throw on congress to get it to stop humping American taxpayers.
CONGRESSIONAL REFORM ACT of 2013
- No Tenure / No Pension.
A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office, and receives no pay when they’re out of office.
- Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.
All funds in the Congressional Retirement Fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
- Congressmen/women will purchase their own retirement plans, just as all Americans do.
- Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
- Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
- Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
- All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/31/13.
The American people did not make these contracts with Congressmen/women. Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves.
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
I dreamed a dream.